How should I prepare for my first Heated Yoga session?
- You are welcome to reserve a space by calling Flacas. Please arrive at least 15-20 minutes before class. This will give you enough time to fill out the registration form, get yourself situated, and ask any questions you might have before class.
- Dress in light, fitted exercise clothing. A short sleeve or a tank top and shorts, or yoga type pants are best. We heat the room between 90-95F. It’s hot enough to relax your muscles for a great stretch, but not suffocating.
- Don’t worry about shoes – you’ll be doing yoga barefoot. We request that you remove your shoes before entering the yoga studio.
- Bring a yoga mat, a small hand towel, and a large beach towel to put over your yoga mat if you desire. Don’t have a yoga mat, yet? We have some that you can borrow.
- Avoid eating 2-3 hours before class – yoga is better practiced on an empty stomach. That being said, we don’t want you fainting in class!! So if you just gotta eat – have something light before class. Don’t forget we have smoothies available in our café – it’ll fill you up and hydrate you at the same time .
- Be well-hydrated! Drink lots of water before coming to class and during class. You can loose up to 1.5 litres of water during a hot yoga class.
- If you need to leave the class for any reason, please do so quietly so as not to disturb others. (Yup – you are not trapped and really can leave if you need to!)
- Refrain from wearing heavy perfumes or deodorants. Though the room is well ventilated, there’s a lot of deep breathing going on and we want to be considerate of everyone.
What if I want to try a Spin Class?
- Please reserve a space by calling the shop as bikes are limited. Please arrive at least 15 minutes before class. This will give you enough time to fill out the registration form and check out the facilities.
- Wear gym clothes or bike shorts and shoes you would normally wear while working out or riding a bike.
- Ask one of our staff members to help you set your bike up properly. Seat height is important and you should also feel comfortable with your handlebars. We’ll make sure your bike is adjusted to you so you will have the best ride possible.
- Listen to your body, especially if you’re just getting started. The instructor is there to push you, but you should always know what your personal limits are. So, when you come into a spin class, a good thing is just to be able to follow instruction and do your best ride.
- Bring a bottle of water (just not glass) and small towel (to wipe off sweat).
- Come with an open mind, be ready to sweat, and to have fun!
- Don’t be nervous. Most new students feel a little intimidated, but after only a few classes you’ll feel right at home.
- You may want to drink an electrolyte like coconut water after class to help you replenish the minerals you lost while sweating during class. And, if you forget to bring water for class, no worries – we have water and coconut water available in our café.
How often should I practice yoga or spin?
- As often as you can. Three times per week is a great goal. One class is better than nothing. If you are doing five classes per week, you’re a rock star!
- Take your first class and then come back as soon and as often as you can.
- If you feel sore, that’s normal! The sooner you return for your next class, the less sore you will feel. Mix it up! Try Yoga and Spin for a total body and cardio work out. You will be surprised at how quickly your body will adjust. The sooner you return, the easier it becomes. Commit to doing several classes in a short time! Check out our class schedule. We will be adding more classes as demand increases.
Can I lose weight?
ABSOLUTELY! Whenever you are moving your body, you are burning calories. In a 60 minute hot yoga or spin class you are burning a lot of calories. You’ll find as you feel better about your body, you’ll begin to make better food choices. Meanwhile, your cravings for sugar, salt and caffeine will decrease, and you’ll eat less junk -– good news for your waistline! Plus we have lots of healthy food choices in our café.